Is it ok to have drinks in moderation and also be a fitness fan? Surprise…the answer is YES! Researchers have found a link between people with high fitness levels and those who enjoy a refreshing alcoholic beverage.
When choosing a low calorie alcoholic drink, skip those mixed with simple sugar. Aim for vodka seltzers and/or tequila and lime. If you are trying to lose weight, decreasing the amount of calories consumed from alcohol can be extremely effective. Alcohol can be consumed in moderation with a balanced diet.
So what are the 5 drinks with the least amount of calories? Here they are:
- Vodka Seltzer- This is a classic drink made by combining vodka with unflavored seltzer or club soda. There is only about 133 calories in a 7.5 oz serving! Need more flavor? Try garnishing with cucumber or mint OR add a little lemon/lime juice. Alternatively, a flavored seltzer and/or sparkling water may just do the trick!
- White Wine-White wine generally has less calories than red. Typically, it contains about 123 calories in a 5 oz serving. There are so many varieties to try including chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio, and riesling. Bored of plain wine? Add some fresh fruit or mix in some sparkling water/seltzer to make a spritzer.
- Tequila with Lime- This is one of the easiest cocktails to make and the lowest in calories! A shot of tequila with a lime wedge has only about 99 calories. Is drinking tequila straight not for you? Try mixing in some club soda or mint for a low-calorie cocktail.
- Dry martini-A classic dry martini consists of gin and vermouth and is usually topped with olives. There is typically 2.5 oz. of gin and 0.5 oz of vermouth. This packs a low 185 calories! Want to decrease the olive calories? Opt for some orange bitters or a lemon wedge.
- Paloma-A paloma is made with tequila, lime juice, grapefruit juice, and club soda. Some recipes call for extra sugar, but you can decrease the sugar content by skipping this or using a natural sweetener instead. Here is one I LOVE with the link below :
There are multiple ways you can decrease the calorie content of your favorite alcoholic beverages. One way is to make your own drinks instead of using premade mixers, which tend to have high sugar and chemical contents. Instead of using sugar or syrup, opt for fresh herbs or the simple syrup pictured above. Try using more ice, sparkling water/seltzer and LESS soda or juice.
Regardless of whether you are trying to lose weight, alcohol should only be enjoyed in moderation as part of a healthy well-rounded diet.
DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links. This means, at no extra cost to you, we make a small commission if you purchase a product through these links. As an amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps to support CGM Fitness. Thank you!