Weight gain is a common concern among many during the Holiday Season! But, if you are anything like me, this is one of the most common seasons we want to indulge, see friends and have some of our favorite treats. Here are 7 tips to help you avoid weight gain during the holiday season:
1. Be active with family and friends- We all love doing it during the holidays. Sitting on the couch, with a glass of wine and that cozy fire. And nothing beats it! However, commit to being active at least 4-5 days per week during the holiday season. Come and take class or even just commit to a nice walk around the block to look at Holiday lights!
2. Snack wisely- This may be more difficult at a party/get together. However, at home it is much easier to control. Keep treats out of sight! If you are hungry and really do want a snack, opt for whole food. Think fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds.
3. Practice mindful eating-We all tend to rush during the Holiday Season, which leads to multitasking during eating. Eating while distracted causes overeating as we aren’t listening to our bodies signals. To prevent this, eat mindfully and minimize distractions. Chew slowly, thoroughly, and remember to breathe!
4. Get plenty of sleep-Sleep deprivation can also cause weight gain. Restricting sleep heightens cortisol levels, which may increase hunger. Another down fall of no sleep, if that the metabolism may decrease. Although easier said than done, try for at least 6.5 hours a night if possible during the holiday season.
5. Keep meals balanced with protein-Holiday meals are usually rich in carbs, but low in proteins. It is very important to include some protein with each meal. Protein increases metabolism and levels of appetite-reducing hormones. Try for approximately 25-30 g of protein in each meal.
6. Focus on Fiber- Fiber also helps keeps us full. Many holiday snacks are extremely low in fiber. Opt for vegetables, legumes, fruits, whole grains and nuts.
7. Bring a healthy dish to share at the party-It is very easy to overindulge at that holiday party! However, we do have control over what WE bring! Bring one healthy dish to share and have the security of going back to that dish.
Staying on top of weight goals doesn’t have to feel daunting during the Holiday Season! These tips and tricks can keep you feeling fit, healthy and confident during this wonderful time of year! Happy Holidays!